Long Story short.
After hours spend on readings, coding and calculations I have got simple, bit slow but working Smoke effect.
FPS 25 – 30 on ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series which lets face it is a crap.
Next step – rewriting code, trying to make it bit more flexible and implement it to polygon based scene.
“Particle effects like smoke, fire and foam can be efficiently rendered without using hacks. Voxels are also being used by some big Hollywood special effects studio’s to render hair, fur and grass. ” – quote from Ray Tracey’s Blog
All important calculation will be proceed on GPU – I will do my best – using GLSL.
After couple hours spend on learning GLSL I have got that:
Loads of artefacts, however it is not so bad for just couple hours.
Next step will be to implement Perlin noise to get echo – base for my particles.
After hours spent on struggling with the VBO’s and GLSL I have managed to draw my first voxel based model.. the bonsai tree *fanfare*.
File loading time and processing takes about 20seconds, 8.3 FPS without culling or optimisation.. primitive brute force.. get all the points process them through marching cubes algorithm and then draw on the screen.. barbarity I know. but I had to start somehow.
Camera system allow to move around which is kind a nice..